When churches or church groups liked to know more about aspects of church music in the Canadian Reformed churches, I have facilitated workshops and speeches. “Knowing more” has resulted understanding, appreciation, enjoyment of singing and playing.
Some of the possible general topics:
- Church music since King David until the 21st Century.
- Background and history of the Genevan tunes.
- Background and history of Hymns.
- Accompaniment of songs, with specific focus on the Book of Praise.
Some of the topics for (church) musicians:
- The role of a church musician in light of scripture.
- How to lead the congregation effectively.
- Singing and accompaniment together.
- Starting in time.
- Influence the congregational singing.
- Setting the right tempo.
- Using stops.
- Accompaniment that is sensitive to the song text.
- Pre-worship music.
- Relationship with the pastor.
Workshops can be combined with a music evening for the congregation, which could give the musicians a chance to practice what was reviewed during the workshop.
Please contact me if you would like to explore a workshop…